Translate

20 January 2020

Be smart about your beauty shopping

** On a personal note this week: I want a boob job

New year, new me. Says me who decided to plan my finances and stop spending too much money and just bought a dress I don't need. But I definitely love it. So that makes it OK, right? However, I did manage to cut down my expenses and if you want to know more how to save money, let me know.


Also, I need to get it of my chest and say that this was totally inspired by a video by Patricia Bright (video linked here). Definitely go watch it because I loved it and I think you all need to hear it too. Haha. And now let's get into this, shall we?

If you watched the video, Patricia goes into more general tips about saving money on things you don't need to buy and I'm going to focus on beauty items, make-up and skin care mostly. In the past year or two I really went on a roller-coaster with buying make-up. I justified it being a blogger so I convinced myself I need more than I actually do. Thankfully I didn't go really crazy, but I still have too much items for a normal person. In the past year I also became aware of what I was doing so I'm here to share my tips and advice on the topic.

Know your skin. There's no need to buy primers and foundation, moisturizers and cleansers for different skin types. You should know your skin type and focus just on buying those products. While you're at it, figure out your shade and undertone for the make-up. I know each foundation is different, but having the general idea of what you're looking for is a great start.
Know your needs. This is, again, going with the previous, but adding the fact that you need to know what you want out of skin care products and make-up, specifically primers and foundations. Do you want glowy, matte, poreless,etc. skin? Do you want a light every day coverage or a 24-hour long wear base? Do you need to exfoliate your skin or just gently cleanse it?
Know your colors. If you know your undertone, you'll most likely know what looks good on you. I personally go for warm tones, but I have one palette with cold shades, just in case. I don't need to buy more of those as I know I don't usually go for them.
Buy just one of each. We all see some great deals, some fancy packaging and think we need it. And the truth is, we have it at home, almost the same item. I used to buy things like that. I liked it so I bought few. Few of foundations, few of eyeshadow bases, few of deodorants...  I know that you probably want to have options, especially if you like wearing different, fun make-up looks, but there's a limited amount of the same items you actually need. Also, with the skin care, there's no way you'll use 6 different moisturizers in your routine. Get one, use one and buy a new one.
Do your research. Depending on what you care about, do your research about the products before even going to the store. If you care about a product being cruelty free, alcohol free, being in a recycled plastic container, being without some specific ingredients... That way you'll immediately eliminate some products so the temptation to buy unnecessary stuff will be smaller.

Do you have anything else to add? Are you OK with your spendings?

No comments:

Post a Comment